I’d like to welcome you to Charlie Fawn Adventures. Follow my new blog here at hotelcharlotte.com/blog to come along with me on my quest to explore Yosemite and Groveland, Yosemite’s gateway community.
Here’s a little bit about me:
I am a California mule deer, native to Yosemite National Park. Most deer in Yosemite have never had the chance to stay in a historic old western boutique hotel. But after being adopted by the new owners of Hotel Charlotte, this is where I get to live. Every night I get to soak my hooves in a claw foot tub! I guess you could say that I’m quite spoiled living here at Hotel Charlotte.
What I like to do:
Like many fawns, I love to frolic through Tuolumne Meadows in the summer then migrate to Yosemite Valley in the winter. There are many things to do year-round in our area. Groveland is such a magical place for humans and animals alike. Come follow along for fun adventures that I can’t wait to share with you!
My top five favorite winter activities in and around Yosemite:
- Ice skating at Curry Village: Talk about a view! I love ice skating here because I get to slide around the ice with Half Dome looming over me. You can find the ice skating rink at Curry Village inside Yosemite.
- Fly fishing: What? You didn’t think deer like to fish? Just because I don’t eat them doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy the sport! Fly fishing is a year-round activity in our area, and I love to go out on guided fly fishing adventures with my friends at Echo Cooperative.
- Skiing at Badger Pass: I just love whizzing down the slopes at Badger Pass, the ski resort inside of Yosemite. I’ve yet to try the snowboarding park, but that’s on my to-do list this winter!
- Checking out the Firefall: Even though I was born in Yosemite, I’m still amazed every time I see this amazing phenomenon! If the conditions are right during the end of February, you just might be lucky enough to see the setting sun illuminate Horsetail Falls like a fire. We locals call it the “Firefall.”
- Playing in the snow at Leland Snowplay: Even if there’s not snow falling from the sky, the folks at Leland Snowplay always make sure there’s plenty of snow on the ground for tubing! This fun place is less than 1.5 hours from Hotel Charlotte, so it makes for an easy day trip for me.